I have thought about making this for a while. This recipe is not only easy, it is very rich and flavorful. My colleagues at work loved it…so I guess I need to make it again real soon!
My favorite thing about this recipe s that it is perfect for those last-minute “make & take” events because you can have the ingredients in your pantry….
Sweet & Salty Chocolate Toffee Cracker Candy
4 oz. Saltine Crackers (1/4 of avg. size box)
1 stick of Butter
1 cup Dark Brown Sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Powder (or extract)
2 teaspoons Himalayan Pink Sea Salt, divided
12 oz. Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
Candies, Sprinkles, or Nuts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and grease it with shortening.
- Place the Saltines in a single layer on the lined cookie sheet; set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, melt the dark brown sugar, butter along with 1 teaspoon of the pink salt, cinnamon and vanilla powder over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil while stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Boil for 3 minutes.
- Carefully pour the mixture over the crackers. Use a metal spatula to spread the mixture evenly onto all the crackers.
- Place the cookie sheet into the preheated oven and bake for 7 minutes (toffee will bubbly).
- Transfer cookie sheet to a safe surface.
- Pour the chocolate chips over the toffee; set aside until chocolate chips soften and look glossy.
- Use a metal spatula or scraper to smooth out the chocolate chips evenly to cover the toffee layer.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1 teaspoon of pink salt over the chocolate layer.
- Sprinkle with your choice of toppings.
- Cool completely. Transfer to the refrigerator to chill. Cut or break into bite-size pieces.