I decided to make Saffron Cupcakes for my Saffron dessert post.
Hmmm. What kind of frosting?
Well, of course I had to pair these yummy cupcakes with Nutella frosting!
The result was better than expected and the flavor combination was perfect….
I took some cupcakes in for my coworkers to sample. They loved them!
You will find both recipes below….
P.S. if you want, swap out the frosting with Saffron Buttercream instead….
1 box Pound Cake Mix (I used Betty Crocker)
2/3 cup Milk
1/2 cup Butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Saffron
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
6 Ferrero Rocher Chocolates, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray mini-bundt cake pan with cooking spray or line your cupcake tins. Set aside.
- Place saffron in the mortar and pestil. Press to crumble the threads.
- Warm milk for 45-60 seconds. Add saffron and allow to steep for ten minutes.
- Add cake mix, steeped milk, eggs, butter, cinnamon and vanilla to a large mixing bowl.
- Mix on low for 30 seconds. Increase mixer speed to medium and mix for 3 minutes.
- Fill each mini-bundt halfway. Smooth tops with a spoon.
- Bake for 20 minutes (or until cake tester comes out clean).
- Remove from baking pan and cool on a wire rack.
- Fill the center of the mini-bundt cakes with Nutella Frosting (see recipe listed below).
- Top with chopped with chocolates.
- Dust with powdered sugar.
1-1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
3-4 tablespoons Hazlenut-flavored Creamer
1/4 cup Nutella
- Add all ingredients to a medium bowl.
- Mix at a medium speed until you get to a creamy frosting consistency.
Note: If you prefer a traditional cupcake, fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full. Frost as you like with the Nutella Frosting and place half of a Ferrero Rocher chocolate on top.