A few weeks ago, I was browsing the grocery store at lunch time. A chocolate display caught my eye….in particular.. ground cocoa beans. I’ve been reading recently about the health benefits of cocoa beans.
They are very tasty…not as bitter as I expected them to be….and the flavor seemed to linger. Pure chocolate flavor at its best without added sugar….
Hmmm…Creative Cooking Opportunity…
The Versatile Vanilla series was so much fun. Chocolate is next !
Below is my recipe that is inspired by Caribbean flavors…chocolate, bananas, coconut, rum and spices.
Caribbean Cocoa Bean Muffins
Yield: 12 Muffins
1 cup All-Purpose Flour
3/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Cardamom
1/2 teaspoon Salt
2 Bananas (very ripe)
1/2 cup Sweetened Flaked Coconut
3/4 cup Sugar
1/3 cup Vegetable Oil
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon Rum extract
1/2 teaspoon Coconut extract
1/3 cup Ground Cocoa Beans
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Line a muffin tin and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, use a whisk to combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, add oil, eggs, bananas, coconut, sugar, rum extract and coconut extract. Use a mixer to blend ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients to banana mixture. Mix well.
- Stir in the ground cocoa beans.
- Divide batter between the 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes (until cake test comes out clean).
- Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes.