Last week I wanted to make cupcakes for someone special in my life that is going through one of life’s challenges. This special person loves coffee cake and used to make it for our little guy. As a toddler, he would even want to call her…just to ask her to make it for him… Of course, she did… So, we decided to make coffee cake cupcakes for her.
Below is my take on the classic coffee cake. I opted to spice things up with Cardamom. Cardamom pairs well with coffee (and that is what coffee cake is supposed to do).
Gypsy World Spice Cafe Recipe – Cardamom Coffee Cupcakes
Yield: 24 cupcakes
1/2 cup Butter, softened
1/2 cup Shortening
2 cups Sugar, divided
4 Eggs, separated
1 tablespoon Vanilla extract
1 cup Milk
3 cups Flour
1 tablespoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Cinnamon, divided
1-1/2 teaspoons Cardamom, divided
1 tablespoon unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line cupcake pans with paper cupcake liners.
- In a small bowl, mix together 1/2 cup of the sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of the cardamom, 1/2 teaspoon of the cinnamon and the unsweetened cocoa powder.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and shortening until pale and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks, 1-1/2 cups of the sugar and vanilla extract.
- Mix to combine, scraping down sides as necessary.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until you have soft peaks.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, and 1 teaspoon of cardamom.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture in thirds, alternating with the milk. Mixing well with each time.
- Fold the beaten egg whites into the butter mixture.
- Fill the cupcake pan halfway with the batter.
- Sprinkle the batter with of the sugar mixture.
- Fill the cupcake pan with remaining batter (until 2/3 full).
- Sprinkle the batter with remaining sugar mixture.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.