I don’t know about you… But, Sunday dinners definitely bring back a lot of warm childhood memories for me.
Good food… Good stories… Good Company…
Sunday dinners have become a tradition for my family. I like to set the table “extra nice” and plan an “extra special” menu to go with it. My kids love it and so does my husband.
One of the fringe benefits of dinners, is the opportunity to “cook big”. This means having leftovers to put in the freezer which really come in handy for mid-week meals or busy weekends…
This Sunday, I made a Corsican Herb Crusted Roast Pork and decided to serve it with a Spiced Brown & Rice Basmati Rice. Both the pork and the rice dish take 45 minutes to make. So, not only do the flavors pair well, the timing is perfect. While, letting the pork rest and the rice stand, you have just the right amount of time to make the gravy, steam some asparagus and put some bread in the oven to warm…
Below are the recipes… Enjoy and remember to make each meal extra special, extra memorable and healthy too…
Gypsy World Spice Cafe Recipe – Corsican Herb Crusted Roast Pork
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 extra-lean pork tenderloins (about 2 pounds)
2 tablespoons Corsican Herb Blend
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup fat-free, reduced-sodium Chicken Stock
- Preheat over to 375 degrees.
- Combine mustard and garlic in a small bowl.
- Rub mustard mixture to cover all sides of the pork tenderloin.
- In a separate bowl, combine the Corsican Herb Blend, salt and black pepper.
- Cover tops and sides of pork with the herb mixture.
- Place in a shallow baking pan.
- Roast for 45 minutes (or until center of pork registers 160 degrees).
- When done, place on a carving board and cover with foil to allow the meat to rest.
- Add the chicken stock to the roasting pan.
- On the range, over medium heat, simmer the stock for 3-4 minutes. Serve with Pork.
Gypsy World Spice Cafe Recipe – Spiced Brown & Red Basmati Rice
1 cup Basmati brown & Red Rice Blend
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tsp olive oil (or butter)
1 teaspoon Corsican Herb Blend
1/2 teaspoon chopped dried rose petals (be sure to purchase rose petals intended for culinary use)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper (without salt)
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil. Stir once.
- Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and allow to stand for 5-10 minutes.
- Fluff with fork.
Corsican Herb Blend is a unique blend of herbs commonly called for in Corsican recipes. You can substitute your favorite dried herb blend. Dried Thyme is especially good with this. I decided to garnish the dish with pomegranate seeds just for fun.
One taster commented that “The rice dish is amazing. I really like it”. My youngest taster has now decided that Pork is his favorite meat. We’ll see how long that lasts….