This week our family Sunday dinner took on a Cilantro theme. As promised, I will continue posting the recipes from our Sunday dinner throughout the week along with more interesting tidbits about Cilantro.
Below is recipe for the side dish from our Cilantro themed Sunday dinner…Spiced Cilantro Rice (that I served with the Cilantro Lime Shrimp recipe which I posted yesterday https://gypsyworldspicecafe.com/2011/03/27/creative-cooking-with-cilantro-day-1-cilantro-lime-shrimp/).
Cilantro (also known as coriander) is a herb that is not only flavorful … it is loaded with health benefits.
- Cilantro is known to aid in digestion.
- Cilantro is known to stimulate appetite.
- Cilantro is used to prevent nausea.
- Some use Cilantro in a paste to alleviate painful joints.
Note: Home remedies should not be tried without consulting the physician.
What will you be making with Cilantro?
Gypsy World Spice Cafe Recipe – Spiced Cilantro Rice
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
1 tablespoon Butter
1 Shallot, finely minced
2 Garlic cloves, finely minced
1 teaspoon Cumin
good pinch of Saffron (about 1/2 teaspoon)
1 1/2 cups Brown Rice
4 cups Chicken Stock
1 Cinnamon Stick (3 inch)
1/4-1/2 cup chopped Cilantro (depending on your taste)
Salt & Pepper
- In a heavy saucepan, melt butter with olive oil over medium heat.
- Add shallots and cook until softened about 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 2-3 minutes longer.
- Add the cumin and saffron. Stir for 1 minute.
- Add the brown rice. Stir for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken stock and cinnamon stick.
- Bring to a boil (over high heat).
- Reduce to low. Cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender (about 40 minutes).
- Stir in cilantro. Adjust seasoning (salt & pepper) to taste.
- Fluff with a fork and serve.